WEST CHESTER TWP., OH A man working at a Procter & Gamble facility was taken to the hospital this morning following what initially was reported to be an electrocution. Dispatchers, who made the call just at 7:57 a.m. to respond to P&G’s Beckett Ridge Technical Center, 8256 Union Centre Blvd., reported someone could be heard [...]
It was “lights out” on the field at Super Bowl 2013 in New Orleans. Attributed to an undetermined “abnormality” in the Superdome’s power system, the outage was “an embarrassment for New Orleans, which was hosting its first Super Bowl since 2002 and was eager to show off how it has been rebuilt since Hurricane Katrina.” [...]
IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) has released the IEEE C2-2012™, The 2012 National Electrical Safety Code® (NESC®) in PDF format! Electrical engineers need this resource and the PDF allows for quickly finding what you need for quotes or for citation. e-Hazard offers a class on NESC chapter 4 (the worker safety chapter) including 1910.269 basics. Chapter [...]
A 17 year-old young man from Phuket, Thailand, suffered an electric shock and fell 4 meters when the flagpole he was erecting touched a high-voltage power line. Get details from The Phuket News dated 12/20/12.
Visit OSHA’s website for free training materials that have been developed via grant monies from the Susan Harwood Training Grant. Be sure to be watchful of the grant year, though. Find out more from OSHA’s Susan Hardwood Training Grant Program webpage. Get started at the Training Materials / By Topic webpage.
Following Hurricane Sandy, here are some good pointers from a Popular Mechanics article on remaining electrically safe following floods: 1. Never go into a flood-damaged basement or a basement filled with water until the utility company, fire department, or a licensed electrician has removed the home’s electrical meter from its socket. 2. Once the building [...]
Big Tex, the 52′ cowboy overlooking the Texas State Fair for 60 years, burnt to a crisp when an electrical short started a fire in his right boot. Dickies has FR. Tex must not have done a hazard assessment! Was this an electrical fire also known as an electric arc? This is what electric arcs [...]
Interesting drawings of 30 ways to die by electrocution as printed in the 1930′s. Get details from Retronaut webpage.
Intriguing use of electricity in the medical field…… Scientists have developed underwear with built-in electrodes that deliver small electric shocks to combat bed sores in patients who are in a coma or who have injuries that have immobilised them. ”Smart-e-Pants”, which electrically stimulate the buttock muscles of patients, look like normal boxer shorts and transmit 10-second [...]
Enter the Workplace Safety & Health Challenge to design a tool that demonstrates the importance of recognizing and preventing hazards by helping young workers to understand their rights in the workplace. A panel of judges that includes Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and the co-hosts of the popular Discovery [...]